I had been searching for recipes to make in my slow cooker, which I haven’t used in a while, and I happened to come across this interesting yummy looking beef recipe. I just love the idea of putting some good stuff in the slow cooker, walking away, and letting that goodness cook slowly and lovingly for several hours, soaking up all the flavors, and creating a delicious meal. Hey, why would you need air freshner when you have a wonderful aroma in your apartment. The end result is spicy, tender, tasty beef.This is definitely my kind of comfort food!
That wonderful piece of chuck roast was then pulled and put back in the finger licking darn good sauce. And then…
…placed in a pita bread (I also tried it with a baguette and it is better as the sauce tends to make the pita bread soggy) and topped with the yogurt, cucumber and mint sauce to cool the palate from the spiciness. You can make this as spicy or mild as you like. I, myself am a fan of heat so I went ahead and used a whole jalapeno. Try it with rice or pasta if you are not in the mood for bread. Warning: you will need a bunch of napkins and will have to keep licking your fingers!
Recipe taken from eat at home
- 2-3 lb. chuck roast
- 3-5 cloves garlic, 1 whole and peeled, others crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno, seeds removed and diced
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 10 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. dried mint
- Pita bread
- Cut one garlic clove in half and rub roast all over with it.
- Place roast and whole garlic clove in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for sauce) to the slow cooker, sprinkling spices directly on meat.
- Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove meat from crock and shred with a fork.
- Return meat to the crock and stir to combine with juices from cooking the meat.
- Stir yogurt, cucumber and mint together.
- Serve meat in pita bread with yogurt sauce.