Okay, so I have been wanting to post but stuff happened and when stuff happens you get sidetracked and preoccupied and involved. You have to come back to the moment from all that and be with people you love and do things that please you because darn it, there are just too many good things that need to be baked and cooked.
I had quinoa sitting in my cabinet and have rarely been using it. It is so healthy and versatile. You can eat it cold or warm. Mix some veggies and/or meat and you have a meal. I told myself I should cook it more often and hopefully I will follow through. I, er, tell myself a lot of things i should do 😉
You can’t just eat quinoa all by its lonesome because that is just plain boring so I peeked in the fridge. I had zucchini from the farmers market and some corn. All I needed was the chicken. Well, every time I go to the grocery store, I end up buying more than what is just on my list, but don’t we all :). I searched for a recipe which contained chicken, zucchini and corn and found this really great one on the ‘Cooking Classy’ website, which I had never heard of. I discover all these awesome blogs while I am searching for recipes!
Beautiful zucchini and corn and some green onion. While you are admiring the vegetables, please note the gorgeous bamboo cutting board. One of my best purchases. I use the grooved side for vegetables and the reverse flat side for cutting bread.
Oh and my favorite cookware are my cast iron skillets. You can make anything in these babies and pop them in the oven or use them on the stove top. Meet the lovely chicken tenderloins.
Here is this simple, colorful, healthy dish. I would recommend some hot sauce to give it a a kick and up the taste. You could add some slivered almonds and/or cranberries if you wish. Go with your taste buds and make it your own!
Recipe taken from Cooking Classy
- 1 lb chicken, grilled, cooled slightly and diced
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini (1 lb) cut into 4 pieces through length then sliced
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 3 oz feta cheese crumbled
- Cook quinoa in chicken broth according to directions listed on package, season lightly with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly once cooked and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp lemon zest.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 10 seconds, then add zucchini and corn and saute, tossing only occasionally so veggies lightly brown, about 8 minutes.
- Pour quinoa into a large bowl (or individual bowls and just divide all ingredients among bowls), top with grilled chicken, zucchini and corn mixture, green onions and feta cheese. Drizzle lemon juice over top and toss mixture. Serve warm.